Since 1997, The Women's Business Enterprise National Council (WBENC) has been supporting women's business development by certifying and facilitating development of women-owned businesses. Each year, the non-profit organization recognizes Top Corporations for Women's Business Enterprises, and Marriott International is once again on the list.
How Marriott supports women globally
Marriott International directs about 50 percent of its spending toward women-owned businesses. Marriott spent $223 million with over 4,000 women-owned businesses globally in 2014 alone. Globally includes the U.S., Europe, Asia, Africa and Haiti.
Clinton Global Initiative
In addition, Marriott is one of more than just a dozen global corporations that support the Clinton Global Initiative (CGI), a 5-year program established by President Bill Clinton in 2005 which engages leaders such as Marriott to help create solutions for some of the world's greatest challenges. One of the CGI initiatives is to expand lending services to underserved borrowers such as minority and women entrepreneurs. Marriott joined this effort in 2013.
In addition to the WBENC award, Marriott has been recognized in other areas for their support of women. These recognitions include:
- National Association for Female Executives - one of the top corporations for employing executive women
- Great Places to Work Institute - one of the 2014 World's Best Multinational Workplaces
- 2014 Working Mother 100 Best Companies
- National Gay & Lesbian Chamber of Commerce - Corporation of the Year in 2014
- DiversityInc - #1 company for supplier diversity
- Hispanic Association on Corporate Responsibility, Black Enterprise, DiversityInc and Latina STYLE - recognized for diversity and inclusion in their workforce, board membership and suppliers
For more information, visit http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/prnewswire/PH49034.htm